Legal Assistant Services Student
Our Global Energy Group takes a look at the challenges and opportunities associated with meeting net-zero targets, through a series of thought-provoking bulletins, reports, webinars and podcasts.
Reporting to the Manager, Legal Assistant Services, the Legal Assistant Services Student Student will provide administrative support for a team of lawyers at the Firm, including data entry, report preparation and other associated administrative duties, as described.
This role handles confidential information.
Hours of work are from 9 am to 5 pm. This role is being offered as a contract, hybrid position May-August 2023.
At Fasken, Success Means
- Having a strong client service approach – you’re ready, willing, and able to put our clients first and exceed their expectations
- Caring about one another – you possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build harmonious working relationships within your immediate team, across other departments in the firm, and the community
- Working collaboratively – you’re a self starter who values working in a collaborative team based environment
- Possessing exceptional communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties
- Approaching your work with agility and the willingness to learn and utilise new technology
- Being adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment while being organized and maintaining accuracy with a high attention to detail
- Demonstrating strong research, investigative and problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise judgement to resolve issues
- Treating sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and diplomacy at all times
- Provide administrative assistance to a team of lawyers at the Firm, as requested;
- Provide clerical support to a team of lawyers including: word processing, e-filing documents into our Document Management system, as requested;
- Plan and Coordinate online/in person meetings and events including but not limited to weekly smudges and staff meetings;
- Maintain and update various data listings, including but not limited to (board information, manager’s scheduled absences, etc.);
- Preparing a variety of correspondences including memos, letters, reports, agendas and statistics;
- Assist the legal department during their monthly administrative days of clean up and shred closed files;
- Register staff for conferences, training, and workshops as requested by directors and HR;
- Scanning documents for cloud document storage;
- Prepares and/or coordinates information for internal use and distribution;
- Assist in completing various funding applications, as requested;
- Assist Finance staff in maintaining financial records/filing system;
- Prepare mailing labels and labels for file folders;
- Act as a back-up receptionist when required (Please refer to receptionist profile to see full responsibilities);
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge And Experience
- Post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk program completed or in progress.
- In-depth understanding of business and legal terminology
- Superior computer and typing skills; proficiency in MS Office 2010, Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Pro, digital dictation, Worksite DMS, etc.
Diversity and Inclusion
At Fasken we are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive Firm. Our commitment includes ensuring equitable access to employment and equitable opportunities to advance and succeed at the Firm
Accessibility and Accommodation
We always strive to provide an accessible candidate experience. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for eligible candidates.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon references and full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check, employment and educational verifications.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to [email protected] Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.